UK Family Visas & Family Permits

Holmes & Partners Ltd. are here to help close the distance between you and your loved ones. Applying for a family visa means that your relative and/or partner can join you in the UK. For those who entered the UK under a different visa, you can switch to a UK family visa, if you are now going to be taking residency with your spouse, partner, child or parent/s.

Do you need a UK visa?

Try our simple and easy to use questionnaire to find out which UK visa you may be entitled to.
Eligibility for a UK Family Visa

You may apply for a family visa to enter the UK if you are:

  • A spouse, unmarried partner, or civil partner.

  • A dependent child.

  • A parent entering the UK with their child.

There are also other family routes into the UK other than a UK family visa:

  • ‘Family Visit Visas’.

  • EEA Family Permit.

  • Ancestry Visa.

You are not eligible for a family visa if your family member:

  • Is under a work or student visa – you will need to apply as their dependant instead.

  • You already have a visitor visa or a visa for 6 months or less.

Applying for a UK spouse visa
You may apply for a family visa as a spouse, unmarried partner or civil partner as long as both you and your partner are over the age of 18.

Your partner must be either:
  • be a British/Irish citizen.

  • have permanently settled in the UK.

  • Be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein with pre-settled status - they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021.

  • have a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa.

  • have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK.

  • You and your partner must intend to live together permanently in the UK after you apply.

Applying as a parent
If you wish to apply alongside your child, your child must be under the age of 18 on the date of your application or have been under the age of 18 when you as their parent granted them leave and not live an independent life.
Applying as a child
You may not need a family visa if at least one of your parents has indefinite leave to remain or proof of your parent’s permanent residence in the UK.
Born in the UK
If you’re under 18, you can be added to your parent’s next visa application as a dependant or you can apply separately. If you are over 18, you can only be included as a dependant if you have permission to stay in the UK on a family visa when you were under 18, do not live an independent life or are applying from inside the UK.
Born outside the UK
If you’re under 18, you must not be married, in a civil partnership or living an independent lifestyle. You must also be supported financially without claiming public funds such as benefits. One or both of your parents must be applying or have applied for a visa.

If you’re over 18, you must have received permission to stay in the UK under a family visa when you were under the age of 18. You must also not be living independently.
Applying for an Ancestry Visa
You can apply for a UK Ancestry Visa if you fit into the following criteria:

  • You are a Commonwealth citizen, British overseas citizen or British overseas territories citizen.

  • You are a British national (overseas).

  • You are a citizen of Zimbabwe.

  • You must be able to prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

You must also meet some other eligibility requirements that our dedicated team will go through with you upon consultation.
Apply for a Family Visit Visa
For a visitor visa, please see our visitor visa page.
Applying for an EEA Family Permit
You are no longer permitted to apply for an EEA family permit as of 30th June 2021. You can however apply for an EU Settlement Scheme family permit and our team can assist you through this application.


Our expert team will be able to take you through any questions you may have on the rules and regulations you must abide by whilst on a family visa.

You will need to apply for a family visa if you wish to stay for a duration exceeding 6 months. You can stay up to 2 years and 9 months on a family visa however this can apply for an extension.

Yes. You can apply to extend your stay before your current visa expires. Our dedicated team can help you with this if you require an extension to your visa.

You can apply for a settlement after living in the UK continuously for 5 years on a family visa. Our dedicated team can help you apply for permanent settlement once you meet the requirements.

Why Choose Holmes & Partners Ltd?

We are a small, local firm based in Leeds who work with clients worldwide. Our small size means we can offer a tailored, personal approach to all our clients, focused around their needs. At Holmes & Partners Ltd, our team are all experienced in visas and immigration, many on a first-hand basis, and so really are experts in their fields. We can take care of the entire visa process for you, as well as offering support and advice whenever you may need it, leaving you free to enjoy your time studying in the UK. Our services are charged on a fixed fee rate, so there are no hidden extras or nasty surprises when it comes to paying the bill.
Orage Icon

Get in touch today!

Get In Touch Today!

Our skilled and friendly team are ready to answer all of your questions and to fully support you during your visa application process. Contact our team today for advice and support.